The CPUSA is sponsoring an international conference this weekend on the topic of dismantling imperialism in the 21st century. This quiz is dedicated to the goals of that conference.
1. Empires have existed for thousands of years, but it was the rise of capitalism that led nations to
a. face for the first time in history the problem of overproduction leading to depression.
b. need colonies as captive markets for the commodities they were producing.
c. need raw materials in greater quantity and variety than ever before to sustain their production.
d. All the above
2. As the socialist movement developed in the late 19th century, debates over imperialism played an important role. Vladimir Lenin, leader of the Russian Bolsheviks, developed Marxist theory to analyze what he saw as a new stage in the development of capitalist imperialism. This stage led capitalist nations to do what?
a. Work together to advance free markets and democracy throughout the world
b. Withdraw from international markets to protect their home industries
c. Fight with each other to export production (factories, technology) to colonial regions to gain higher profits
d. All of the above
3. As communist parties developed and established their own International in the aftermath of the socialist revolution in the Russian Empire, they
a. supported the imperialist polices of their capitalist governments as a way to advance socialism throughout the world.
b. took no stand on imperialism in the belief that socialist parties should work only to lead the working class in industrialized countries.
c. actively supported anti-imperialist movements in colonial regions and worked to develop socialist organizations and communist parties in those regions.
d. All of the above
4. In the aftermath of World War I, the reaction to socialist revolution and heightened anti-imperialist movements led to a new imperialist ideology and policy — fascism — which continues in various forms today. Marxists define fascism as which of the following?
a. An open terroristic dictatorship of the most reactionary sectors of the capitalist class in the service of finance (monopoly capital)
b. Right-wing populism
c. Totalitarian dictatorship
d. A revolt against “modernization”
5. In the 21st century, the major forces advancing imperialism have been which of the following?
a. The U.S.-led NATO bloc
b. The capitalist-controlled International Monetary Fund and World Bank
c. U.S. global military bases, installations, and bilateral and multilateral policies against socialist countries and all nations resisting transnational capitalism
d. Japan and the Exclusive Economic Zone
e. All of the above
Source: Communist Party U.S.A.